Ridge Gourd Onion Masala - Beerakaya Ullipaya Masala
Recipe type: Curries
Ridge gourd is slightly peeled and chopped. Fresh onion masala is prepared with onion, ginger and green chiles. Ridge gourd is then cooked in oil along with whole spices and ground onion masala. Serve ridge gourd onion masala over plain steamed rice and dollop of ghee.
- Ridge Gourd 2 Medium
- Onion 1
- Ginger 2 inch Piece
- Green Chiles 2 – 3
- Cilantro few Sprigs
- Salt to Taste
- Mustard Seeds ¼ tsp
- Cumin Seeds ¼ tsp
- Urad Dal ¼ tsp
- Broken Dried Red Chiles 3 – 4
- Asafoetida a Big Pinch
- Curry Leaves 5
- Oil 2 tsps
- Lightly peel, remove ends and wash the ridge gourds.
- Chop the ridge gourd into small pieces.
- Remove stems, wash and slice the green chiles.
- Peel and roughly chop ginger.
- Peel and roughly chop the onion.
- Wash and roughly chop the cilantro.
- Grind green chiles and ginger into paste.
- Add the chopped onion and cilantro and grind again into paste.
- Heat oil in a pan, add all talimpu ingredients in order.
- When mustard seeds start spluttering, add the ridge gourd pieces.
- Fry briefly and stir in ground onion masala paste and salt.
- Cook covered on low flame till ridge gourd is soft.
- Serve ridge gourd onion masala over plain steamed rice and dollop of ghee.
Make sure ridge gourd is cooked well before removing from heat. Suggestions: If ridge gourd is not cooked well, add few tablespoons of water and cook covered on low flame till done. Adjust green chiles according to spice. Other Names: Ridge Gourd Onion Masala, Beerakaya Ullipaya Masala.