Quick potato curry
Recipe type: Curries
Onion and tomato are cooked in oil along with whole spices. Potato is chopped up and cooked in onion tomato mixture along with freshly powdered spices. Once the potato is absorbs all the flavors, the spicy potato curry is served with chapati or with roti etc.
- Potato 2 Medium
- Onion 1 Large
- Tomato 1 Large
- Green Chile 1 – 2
- Red Chile Powder to Taste
- Turmeric Powder ⅛ tsp
- Cilantro few Leaves
- Salt to Taste
- Mustard Seeds ¼ tsp
- Cumin Seeds ¼ tsp
- Urad Dal ¼ tsp
- Chana Dal ¼ tsp
- Curry Leaves 5
- Oil 2 tsps
- Cinnamon 2 inch Stick
- Cloves 3
- Star Anise ½
- Nutmeg Powder a Pinch
- Coriander Seeds 1 Tbsp
- Oil ½ tsp
- Peel and slice the onion.
- Wash and finely chop the tomato.
- Remove stems, wash and slice the green chiles.
- Wash and finely chop the cilantro.
- Peel the potato, wash and chop the potato into small pieces.
- Heat oil in a small pan, add all masala ingredients in order.
- Fry them on low flame till aromatic or till they change color.
- Cool the roasted ingredients and grind them into fine powder using a spice blender.
- Heat oil in a pan, add all tempering ingredients in order.
- When chana dal changes color, add onion and green chiles.
- Fry briefly and stir in chopped tomatoes and chopped potato.
- Add half a cup of water and cook covered for around 5 minutes.
- Stir in freshly ground masala powder, red chile powder, turmeric powder and salt.
- Cook covered on low flame for around 10 minutes. Add another half cup of water if required.
- Once the oil separates and potato absorbs all the flavors and turn soft, remove from heat.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve spicy potato curry with chapati or with steamed rice.
Make sure potato is cooked properly. Suggestions: If the potato is not cooked well, add a splash of water and cook covered till done.