Cauliflower with Curry Powder
Recipe type: Curries
Curry Powder is a mixture of multiple spices used to flavor various Indian Curries. In this curry, cauliflower is cooked in tempered oil till just cooked and stir fried with spicy curry powder. Fresh curry leaves impart a nice flavor to this cauliflower curry. This curry tastes its best when cauliflower is just soft with a very light crunch to it.
- Cauliflower 1 Small
- Spicy Curry Powder 1 tbsp
- Red Chile Powder ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Urad Dal ¼ tsp
- Cumin Seeds ¼ tsp
- Mustard Seeds ¼ tsp
- Curry Leaves 10 – 15
- Oil 1 tsp
- Remove outer leaves, break cauliflower into small florets and thoroughly wash them.
- Heat oil in a pan, add all talimpu ingredients in order.
- When urad dal changes color, add cauliflower florets and salt.
- Cook covered on medium heat until cauliflower turns soft.
- Sprinkle a tbsp of water if required and stir occasionally.
- Uncover and fry the cauliflower till the edges start to turn brown.
- Then add spicy curry powder and red chile powder.
- Sprinkle another tsp of water and stir fry for few seconds till cauliflower absorbs all the flavors.
- Serve cauliflower with curry powder over hot steamed rice or roti.
Make sure cauliflower is cooked just right. Suggestions: If cauliflower is mushy, reduce the amount of water or the cooking time. If cauliflower is still raw, sprinkle tbsp of water and cook covered till soft. Variations: Add tamarind extract or lemon juice to make the curry little tangy.