Recipe type: Curries
Fresh ripe banana is mashed and added to the pan along with sugar and milk. When the mixture forms a syrup, roasted wheat flour is added. The mixture is cooked thick thick and served garnished with chopped almonds.
- Ripe Banana 1 Long
- Wheat Flour ¾ Cup
- Milk ½ Cup
- Cardamom Powder a big Pinch
- Sugar ¾ Cup
- Cashews 10
- Almonds 3
- Ghee 4 Tbsps
- Peel the ripe banana.
- Grind the banana into smooth paste adding milk.
- Grind cashews into fine powder and keep aside.
- Thinly slice the almonds for garnish.
- Heat a pan on low heat, add a tbsp of ghee and wheat flour.
- Fry till wheat flour changes color or is aromatic.
- Remove wheat flour from heat and stir in cashew powder.
- Heat a pan on medium – low heat, add banana paste and sugar.
- Cook till the sugar is completely melted and the mixture thickens, stir in cardamom powder.
- Now add the wheat flour mixture and remaining ghee.
- Keep stirring to make sure everything is incorporated well.
- When the mixture becomes thick and gooey, remove from heat.
- Serve a big scoop full of banana halwa onto a bowl.
- Garnish the banana halwa with almonds and serve.
Make sure banana is very ripe and don’t over cook the syrup. Suggestions: If the sugar is not melted completely, let it melt before adding flour. Add little water or milk to adjust if the syrup becomes thick and sticks to the spatula. Variations: You can also add your choice of nuts and raisins.