Chicken Country Roast
Recipe type: Curries
A favorite Chicken Country Roast recipe which makes for a perfect barbecue dish on summer evenings. The chicken is roasted till golden brown and served as a starter or side dish with onion rings and lemon wedges.
- 2½ lb. chicken, cleaned and cut into big pieces
- 2½ cups grated coconut or ½ cup dessicated coconut
- 3 tsp coriander (dhania) powder
- 3 tsp chilly powder
- 1½ cups sliced shallots (madras onions)
- 1 pod of garlic (lehsun)
- 1 " piece of ginger (adrak)
- 2 springs of curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 2 pcs cinnamon (dalchini)
- 8 cloves (laung / lavang)
- 1 tsp aniseeds (vilayati saunf)
- 2 big sized tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ghee
- 3 tsp oil
- salt to taste
- Crush coarsely the curry leaves, the spices, shallots, garlic and gingers.
- Grind the coriander and chilly powder.
- Fry/ roast the coconut gratings in a dry pan till golden brown and grind it.
- Mix all these ingredients well with enough salt and oil.
- Put the drained dry chicken pieces & rub on the masala well on the chicken pieces.
- Put this in an oven proof casserole.
- Cover with lid or tin foil and roast in the oven. (if not for immediate use allow the gravy to dry.)