Potato Stuffed Idli - Bangaladumpa Idlilu
Recipe type: Breakfast
For potato stuffed idli, potato is boiled, peeled and mashed. Mashed potato is then seasoned with spices and herbs. The potato mixture is then made into discs and stuffed in idli batter. Idli is steamed and potato stuffed idli is served with sambar or with any chutney of your choice.
- Idli Batter ¾ Cup
- Potato 1 Large
- Green Chiles 1
- Turmeric Powder a big Pinch
- Cilantro few Sprigs
- Salt to taste
- Mustard Seeds ⅛ tsp
- Cumin Seeds ⅛ tsp
- Coriander Seeds a Big Pinch
- Oil 2 tsps
- Remove stem, wash and finely chop the green chile.
- Lightly crush the coriander seeds.
- Wash and finely chop the cilantro.
- Wash and halve the potatoes.
- Boil few cups of water in a sauce pot.
- Add salt and potatoes.
- Boil till potatoes are soft.
- Cool the potatoes to room temperature and peel them.
- Mash the potatoes with salt and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add all talimpu ingredients in order.
- When mustard seeds start spluttering, add mashed potatoes, turmeric powder and cilantro.
- Stir well and remove from heat.
- Once the potato stuffing is warm enough to handle.
- Take a big spoonful of mixture and form into thick disc.
- Repeat the same with remaining portions.
- Grease idli moulds with few drops of ghee.
- Spread a tbsp of batter in each idli mould.
- Layer each mould with potato disc.
- Layer few more tablespoons of idli batter on the potato disc to cover it.
- Place the idli stand in steamer.
- Steam the idli for around 8 minutes.
- Leave the idli outside for a minute or two to cool down.
- Carefully remove the idli from idli mould with help of a spoon.
- Serve potato stuffed idli with sambar or with coconut chutney.
Make sure idli is steamed well before removing from heat. Suggestions: Make sure idli batter is not too thick or not too thin. Adjust with water if necessary. Variations: You can also add very finely chopped onion to the tempering for potato stuffing.