Recipe type: Breakfast
3 Dal khichdi is a rice preparation with three lentils or dals mixed with rice and spices. The 3 dal khichdi imparts an unique taste and consistency as compared to the traditional rice-dal khichdi.
- 100 gms rice (chawal)
- 30 gms moong dal (split green gram)
- 30 gms masoor dal (split red lentil)
- 30 gms chola dal (split cow peas)
- 2 large onions
- 2 small potatoes (optional)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 6 cloves garlic (lehsun)
- 1 piece ginger (adrak)
- 5 green chillies
- ghee as required
- oil as required
- salt to taste
- Wash and soak the dal and rice for at leat ½hr.
- Chop onion and green chilies finely.
- Mince the coriander leaves, ginger and garlic.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into small cubes.
- Fry onions in 1 tablespoon oil. when the onions are light brown add the minced garlic, ginger and green chilies.
- Then add the garam masala . fry for a while.
- Pour warm water . first add cholar dal after 10 mins add moong dal and after 10 mins add masur and rice . add water till it is about 2 inches above the level of the rice. if the water dries up, more warm water may be added.
- Add potato cubes and salt. when the water starts bubbling, lower the heat and simmer till rice and dal are cooked. serve hot with khadi or raita.
- Note:-reduce the no. of chillies if you do not want very spicy khichadi